EU Treaty Rights- Residency

European Union citizens and EEA nationals have the right to remain in Ireland and have family members live in Ireland with them if certain criteria are met. 'Family' means your spouse, children under 21, civil partner, other children who are dependent on you and their spouses or civil partners, your parents and your spouse or civil partner's parents, provided they are dependent on you. The EU citizen may remain in the State for 3 months without restriction. If you plan on staying in Ireland for over 3 months you must be either: -Employed or self employed in the State or; -Be enrolled as a student or trainee or; -Have sufficient resources and health insurance to ensure you will not be a burden on the State or; - Be a family member of an EU Citizen in one of the above categories. This area of law is derived from EU Directive 2004/38/EC which was brought into Irish law by the European communities (Free Movement of Persons) Regulations 2006 and 2008. The host member state must facilitate the entry and residence of other family members who do not have an absolute right to move but who are dependent on you or whose health is such that they require care by you. Member states must also facilitate the entry and residence of a partner with whom you have a durable relationship.

Right to Interpretation

The deadline for implementation has passed on an EU Directive concerning the rights of EU citizens and language barriers to fair procedures. This means that EU member States must provide for EU citizens accused in criminal proceedings to have aspects of the process interpreted to them in their own language should the need arise (if the person does not understand the language of the proceedings). The interpreter should be provided free of charge. The EU citizen has the right to have the following interpreted: -police interrogations, -essential meetings between client and solicitor, and -the trial. Documents must also be translated for the EU citizen: -the detention order, -the indictment, and -the judgement. Further information can be found at: